Wednesday, July 18, 2012

{WiP} Wednesday ~ 28/52

Laundry. Does laundry count as a WiP? Because I can't ever seem to get that one done!

And somehow I missed posting last week's WiP post. Well, let's be honest. I didn't even write it. Busy isn't a word I thought I would be using to describe the summer, but that's the way it has been!

Here are a couple of finishes from the last few weeks.

1. I bought some of that pre-smocked fabric at Joann's and sewed a seam and some ribbon to it, and made dresses for the girls. Of course my 2 yo won't stop moving to get a good picture. She's just a wind-up toy!  And my 4 yo wants to wear hers every single day. Over and over again. It's part cute, part annoying. :o)

Mama-made cheater dress. Still darn cute. :-)

2. My aunt called and asked if I wanted my great-grandmother's treadle sewing machine. Um, YEAH!! It has seen better days, and it's seen a bit too much sunshine, but it is stunningly beautiful on the inside.  It's not perfect, and it doesn't work right now. I don't plan to restore it anytime soon, but I guess I could put it on the WiP list. :) I hope to take some good pictures of it someday soon. It is really breathtaking.

I picked up Great-grandma Nelson's antique treadle machine today. It's seen better days, but I'm pretty excited. :-)
My Singer 66 Red-Eye

3. I finished Nicole's blocks for the Bee Happy Bee. She sent us a handful of shot cottons and asked us to make a large block inspired by the quilts of Gee's Bend. While I had a hard time getting out of my habit to design and organize and engineer a block, I found it liberating that there was no end goal, you know? It didn't even have to be square. She just wanted us to enjoy the journey, and let the block evolve. Love that.

Gee's Bend-inspired block ~ for Nicole (Bee Happy)
Nicole's Gee's Bend-inspired block and my new Singer.  (I didn't sew it on this machine, though)

Here are a mere few of my Works in Progress.

1. Bee blocks galore.
Black and white blocks for Shelley in the Mod Mosaic bee. I think this will be a striking quilt.

Pieces for Shelley

Word blocks for Alison in the Bee Happy Bee. These are already looking really fun. I can't wait to have the brain cells to start on mine. :)

Alison's Word Block Fabric

Scattered Jewels blocks for the {Faith} Circle of the do.Good Stitches bee. I haven't even started to pull fabric for that, so I don't have a picture. I just wanted to put it down here so I don't forget! :)

2. Project 10-4 I can't say more about it, but it involves onesies. :)

Project 10-4

3. Multi-tasker Tote Anna Maria Horner is coming to speak to the Front Range MQG on Friday August 3rd, and she's teaching the Multi-tasker Tote class on Saturday, the 4th. I've decided that I'm going to try to cut my fabric out ahead of time, and try to make 2 bags during the class. Yes, I know I'm insane. So, since we're aware that I've pushed my sanity aside, I've got to pick out my fabrics for the two bags. For one, I think I'm going to sew scraps together and "make" my own fabric, then for the other, I'm not sure. I'm thinking of using my beloved Calypso Ovals in blue from Blend. (Love!)  My alternate fabric will probably be a solid. Or maybe a coordinating polka dot. I don't know. :o)  I don't actually know how to pick fabric for things! :o)

4. Mookie's Quilt
We cut the printed fabric for my 4 yo's Heather Bailey summer quilt, now I just need to get the solid to go with it, then we'll cut that and sew, sew, sew. She's got the attention span of a 4 year old, so she might be 8 by the time we finish, but we're going to try! :o)

Mookie's Summer Quilt

And dinner. Every day they want dinner. Strange creatures. :o)

Hope you have a great week!

(linking up with Freshly Pieced's {WiP} Wednesday post, hosted by Taryn this week.)

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

3 comments:

  1. You've got a lot of stuff on your plate, lady! It all looks like fun! I love the photo of the treadle with Nicole's block.
    I gave up on dinner. We are going out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Bee Happy block looks so fun! I haven't ever tried an improv block, but I am always impressed by those who make them! That summer quilt is going to be gorgeous, what a fun project to do with your daughter! Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So unreasonable wanting to be fed, cleaned and watered... ;o) Good luck with your list :o)

    ReplyDelete

What are you sewing?